How good an open water swimmer are you? And how do you compare with other swimmers of a similar age?
In 2012 you can find out. We will be working with seven open water swimming race organisers to create the UK's first open water national ranking series.
Taking part is simple. You just need to:
(1) Complete the registration form (opens in new window)
(2) Enter and complete at least three of the seven races in the series*
How it works
Simple. For each race you complete you will be awarded points based on your finishing position within your gender and age-group band. At the end of the year we add up the points from your best three races. The more points you win, the higher your ranking, and the winner in each age group will be crowned National Champion. Prestige and bragging rights for the winners.
There will be a separate category for non-wetsuit swimmers (male and female) but no age group banding.
We have picked seven top quality races from around England, Scotland and Wales to give as many people as possible the chance to complete the series. The races are diverse in terms of distance and water type so you will be tested under a variety of conditions. We are confident that each of these race organisers will put on a first class event and regardless of whether you're aiming for an age-group win, a solid mid-pack finish or simply completing a challenge we are sure you will have a fantastic experience.
1. Saturday 19 May – Galeforce Events, Box End Swim (nr. Bedford), 5k, lake (galeforce-events.com)
2. Friday 8 June (18.30) – The Wales Swim, Tenby, 1.9km, sea (thewalesswim.com)
3. Sunday 8 July – The Henley Mile, Henley, 1 mile, river (henleyswim.com)
4 Saturday 4th August - The Edinburgh Swim Festival, Edinburgh, 2k, sea (edinburghracing.co.uk)
5. Sunday 5th August – Votwo Bournemouth Long Swim, 2.5k, Sea (votwoevents.co.uk)
6. Saturday 11th August – Bray lake Super Series, 3K, lake (www.allabouttriathlons.co.uk/)
7. Saturday 18 August – Monster Swim, Loch Ness, (1 mile) (www.monsterswim.co.uk)
8. Sunday 23rd September – Queenford Classic, Nr Wallingford, Oxfordshire, 2.1k, lake. (www.henleyswim.com/queenford-classic)
9. Saturday 29th September (CHANGED FROM THE 8TH OF SEP) – The South West Swim, nr Radstock, Somerset, 5k, lake (www.dbmax.co.uk)
- Under 20 (see event organisers' terms and conditions for age restrictions)
- 60 plus
The first place finisher in each age category will score 1000 points. The points scored will then decrease by 10% (rounded up or down to the nearest whole number) with each subsequent finishing position. 20th, for example, scores 139 points.
*Note: you will need to pay the race organisers normal entry fees and adhere to their terms and conditions.
More questions? Please see our FAQs.